Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Why am I here?

I am a computer science researcher by profession, software engineer by training, and mathematician by inclination. Over the years I have come across a number of writings that I feel have had a profound effect on me. But without any means to write down my feelings about them, the effect these writings have on me have waned over time and they quite often have been relegated to the infinte dust-bin of forgetfulness. Writing down my impressions on pieces of paper has not worked very well, as they are not conveniently accessed at later dates.

I have finally decied to try and blog my thoughts online so that I can go over the blog at a later date and try to recreate my feelings and re-live the highs I experienced originally. This is a very personal experience and I dont expect anyone to share these experiences with me. So if anyone comes across this blog and feels totally lost, I will not be surprised.

To set the tone of the blog, let me also tell you about two other blogs that I admire and follow:
  • John Baez's blog "This week's find in Mathematical Physics" comes at the top of my list. John Baez is an amazing writer and his exposition of complex mathematical concepts has been the biggest source of "highs" for me.
  • "Lambda the ultimate" is a very interesting weblog, and even though I am a lurker there, I follow it and use it as a good indication of the pulse of computer science.